≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Zed

Anonymous

Interpretation of the Sighting, 2026. Artist Unknown.
Medium: Really cool pencil with decorative fringe

Branches quake, bony hands swiping through foliage. One seemingly dead walks among the living. A half-blind creature with sparse hair and distorted, asymmetrical features. The smell of decay lingers faintly in the air. Discharge drips from the flat opening where its nose used to lie, blood-stained clothing draped over its narrow frame. It maneuvers to a clearing to look over the ruins of New York state, near-lipless mouth agape.

“So ugly,” it mumbles, unfurling a map and scrutinizing it. “This is New York now?... Really?”

It exchanges its map for a weapon, returning to the comfort of the trees and sneaking ever-closer. Monroe would have to brace itself; one of the New World’s finest creations draws near.

THE FLESHFOLKLORE AND GOSSIPTHE AFFILIATIONS
This creature is nauseating, facial burns and scars having molded his face into an effigy to the undead--and if you squint, he kinda looks like one. His right lower eyelid sags down to his cheekbone, its raw underside on display. His eyes are bloodshot and brown, right eye foggier than the other. The spot on his face where a nose should be instead sports a pair of serpentine nostrils. His left cheek is pierced by a dime-sized hole, revealing gum and teeth. Not much remains of his lips. He has a constant grimace. His dark, ratty hair is seared away to the top of his head. Among all of the mangled features, an ethnicity or general age seems impossible to place.There were whispers among a rural settlement in Minnesota. Word of a cryptid that lived in the woods. An undead that could speak. A perimeter guard vehemently swore by its existence--and the more time that passed, the more details he had to share. It was dining on human flesh. It called out his name as he ran. And no, he DIDN'T get scared and run away immediately, that's a lie, who told you that, he shot the thing and it didn't even blink. Word of a bulletproof, cannibalistic, part-werewolf, Satanic, skeleton summoning, hyper-intelligent zombie was enough to keep the children from trying to sneak out at night.
MONROE
Head Scout

-
--
---

THE TREASURED, THE LIKED, THE MANY, THE LOST, THE DESPISED

Constantine (The Mortar) - I experienced your good nature. It warmed my heart. It will kill you. The needs of the many will grind and wear at you. Until you are dust. You will be mourned.
--
Appreciate a man who appreciates me. Thanks for the meat. And watch your back, butcher.
--
The close call was scary. I was worried, very worried--but you weren't. We are doing good work. Very good work. There’s much more. Do not die yet.
--

Lincoln Whittaker (The Foundation) - Stoic. Gentle. Tired. So tired. I know who you are, cowboy.
--
Got my eyes peeled for you. Cowboy.
--
Running away again? That’s okay. I did too.
--

Dog Whisperer (The Buzzard) - Tried smoking a carton in one sitting, recently. To see how many before my esophageal scars bled. Nineteen--not even a pack. Wasn't worthwhile. They were expired. Also. I like your hat.
--
You will live another day. Your body will continue to degrade. Each sight, each sound, it will slow your stride. But you will live, friend.
--

Don Jones (The Titan) - What a mournful soul--sends a shiver down the spine. Chin up, friend. Let's see this world through.
--
I know your dirty secrets, friend. No worse than anyone else’s, I suppose.
--
My lips are loosening. If you can call them lips.
--

Omnia (The Actualizer) - You seem very... wise. Maybe that's presumptuous of me. But I'm sure the way your way of life makes more sense than everyone else's, right now.
--
Blessed Architect.
--

Will (The Hellion) - Impolite, rude even. Perhaps it was something I said. Oh well. I'm sure you're good deep down.
--
It is comforting that I no longer have to deal with you.
--

Calista (The Imp) - Move like water, little girl. Don't let anyone lay eyes long enough to remember your face. I hope my... unique presence was enough for you to listen to what I said.
--
You listened. Good.
--

Aaron (The Conduit) - Your music carries a lot of strength. Watched it energize survivors, make them hopeful. Guess what I'm wondering is, is that a good idea? This late into the game?
--
Rest in paradise. Tell Elvis I said hello.
--

Luke (The Maxillary) - Such a kind, warm soul. Saw right past my appearance. Offered a smile and a friendly conversation. Lovely. What do you want from me?
--
I was wrong to judge so severely. Decency is not a crime. Rest easy.
--

Liliana (The Centermost) - First, my cooking buddy. Then, my business buddy. Then, my settlement management buddy. Things are getting complicated here. But you are easing the load. Very nice.
--
Yes, yes. This is one.
--

Crystal (The Drawstring) - Calm and even. The voice of reason. And good with money, very good. It is a good thing you are charitable--you are one of the few people here that could have coaxed me into a life of indentured servitude.
--
My, my. So facilitative.
--

Sepp (The Reservoir) - Oh yes. You are proving quite instrumental--and quite sharp. Many a tragedy has been avoided with you already. You shall be the perfect helping hand to overcome this one.
--
You truly have changed.
--

Max (The Hero of Old) - You are not fully unreasonable. Not fully.
--
It is good that you were there. We will pay you a favor in time.
--

Corey (The Conflagration) - You are very loud. And create problems for me. Suppose I’ll look the other way.
--
You are somewhere. But I do not see you often.
--

Terry Winters (The Zephyr) - You were very nice. Bet you smelled like cinnamon. And grease. And, you sure do spend a lot of time around Constantine. Wonder if he's hiding something about you.
--
I hope you pull through. I don't know what will happen if you don't.
--

Anastasia (The Flint) - Your mind was polluted. Your sentiments: endangered and dangerous. There was simply no alternative. I hope you are at peace.
--

Kaari (The Cognate) - As our antibiotic courses drain Monroe’s pockets, I have spoken to you. You seem worth it. It is good that we broke you free. Truth be told, I am a little uncomfortable speaking to you. It’s an Old World skill. But that’s okay. Not like you can see it on my face.
--
Helpful. Resilient. I am sorry that you must be involved in our mess here. But while I have your trust, you shall have mine.
--

Max Stone (The Metal Herald) - Very eager. Very capable. Exactly what we need. Good to have you.
--
You led as best you could--and all said, succeeded. You are a vital arm of Monroe. I will ensure that you continue to be.
--

Elijah (The Dinner Bell) - Feisty--as New World children are. But furious, too. Are you always like this?

--
Ugh. Perhaps I need you back. Numbers, dwindling.
--

Texas (The Wrecking Ball) - Kind, and willing to lend a helping hand. But... young. All around.

--
You must atone. You must change. You are threatening every life here until you do. I will see what I can do to help you along.
--

Nikolai (The Raging Bull) - You are perhaps one of Monroe's most valuable fighters--and when this blows over, I may very well have a plan for you. But you must keep a cool head. You cannot be like the others. You must be better.
--

Kai (The Dedication) - You will serve us quite well. Cosplayer.
--
The mask. The missing voice. I have been there. Only one solution. Ease your mind. Show the world who you are.

--
I don't know as much as I think I do, it looks like. But I've learned. You can be trusted. You are not one of them.
--

Rook (The Greasy Hands) - Come back. We are weaker without you.

Trinidad (The Oathbreaker) - Oh yes.

Bryce (The Hewn) - If anyone knows how to salvage a situation, it is us. You will sing.

---
--
-

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous

I really like this biography, although its a shame there is no pink relationships section. Even a hideous creature like this can find love in the dreary, dank, and decrepit landscape of Monroe County.

Anonymous

update, haven't done any art + i gave up on the custom colors uhhh uhh uhhh ill do more later

Anonymous

yea i love this but wheres the pink section for when u like wanna romance someone haha... just asking for a friend or something haha

Anonymous

Well written character, perhaps one of the best seen on the lore so far. The subtle ways his nostrils flare when he's standing in the bushes along with the characteristic tongue-in-cheek chutzpah stemming from a secret defiant streak only known to the more observant of roleplayers. Lucky fool or mad genius? One cannot put their finger on this magnanimous amalgamation of a true cultured tenure. I truly wish anyone could come close...

Anonymous

"Zed's dead, baby."
A famous quote by Bruce Willis playing the character, 'Butch Coolidge'.
Tarantino Q, Bender L. Pulp Fiction. United States: Miramax; 1995.
Who is Zed? This is a simple question that has led me to several important revelations into the nature of this character. To first begin to understand Zed, we need to understand the concept behind him from the creator’s perspective. Zed is, objectively, hideous. He is a mockery of human life, an ironic twist on a server populated by creatures this character resembles. His unnerving demeanor and appearance however are overlooked considering the platform he was created on. Project Zomboid simply fails to accommodate a character who is anything but normal regarding outward appearances. The creator persists, however. The lack of visualization is supplanted by character appropriate dialogue which conveys Zed’s physical and social oddities. This is an often over-looked feat and speaks to an ingenious streak on the part of the creator. Because of Project Zomboid’s visual limitations, characters like Zed can easily be overlooked and ignored during the character creation process. Those rare few carry on despite this, and further conceptualize characters outside the norm.

Zed is at odds with the myriad of other characters in the lore. This can be seen from a glance through the other character pages, which feature predominantly attractive (often famous) actors. Why is this? In pondering this question, a phrase about writing jumped out to me, “write what you know.” This can be difficult in a roleplay environment that requires the ability to improvise creatively on the fly without sufficient experience. Drawing inspiration from movie and television roles is common, even encouraged, but not to be relied on. Overall, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Should all characters appear as outwardly odd and nonstandard as Zed, there would be no reason for him to stand out as he does. Zed’s creator likely does not have horrendous third degree burns in real life, or a proclivity for anti-social behavior. Zed’s creator obviously likes a challenge, and the attention of being set apart from others. Exploring a dead world through the eyes of a character as challenged as Zed, one can assume Zed’s creator maintains a healthy amount of empathy which only further enriches their character's engagement in the lore itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous

....Kaari's culture doesn't prioritize conventional standards of beauty, so honestly in her opinion he doesn't look half bad.

7/10. Would bang.
I think there is a looooooooong line for that. So unless you all agree on gangbanging Zed you gotta wait your turn.