≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Important Theme for Next Lore

Which theme would you like to see in the next lore?

• Day Zero

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Six Years In

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Supernatural

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MindGate

Co-Owner | Lore Goblin
Staff member
Lore Master
Owner
Admin
Donator+
Donator
I love the idea of doing another supernatural lore, so much that I'm rooting for it to win. That being said, I'm going to reiterate some previously mentioned points and be honest. I don't think the team can do it, I don't think they're capable of doing it and I don't think ninety-nine percent of them understand what made the supernatural good.

It's an opinion that's going to get me some hate but whatever. I only know of one admin currently on the team that could have the ability to write it, but she's going to be limited by 95% of the team. I know this because I've been in those shoes, and I can already see things going up in flames over it. If it wins, I'm gonna participate as much as I can, but I'm not going to be confident. I mean let me put it in this way, right? This lore we're currently in was supposed to be a Sandbox and while there are a few players still logging in--it's been two or three weeks, and we're already down to a consistent six players online. I'm not sure how much interest you're gonna be able to gauge with a supernatural lore with a player base that is mostly disinterested, or more land on the side of enjoying mech. I think going for something that can offer more appeal for both sides would make more sense paired with the oncoming new build being dropped.

There's a lot you can do with the super far in concept, too. If y'all go for that, I think doing something very far into the future would be incredibly interesting to everyone in the community and unique enough to serve as a new genre as the supernatural lore did. I mean let me tell you this, I'd even go so far as being interested in coming back to write for it.

Could do a legitimate Wasteland-ish meets Game of Thrones style lore. Factor in some light magic, supernatural shit with the background of some sort of cataclysmic event. Maybe the zombies aren't viral beings, but magical beings, or coming back from some radiation. I don't know, I think something that far in with a blend of genres, supernatural, horror, sci-fi, could be way more interesting than treading old ground. Keep this in mind, right? With the supernatural lore. It existed because of innovation. I had a hundred people telling me "MINDGATE THIS WON'T WORK. MINDGATE YOU CAN'T DO A SUPERNATURAL LORE IN PZ IT'S NOT BUILT FOR IT." but we pushed for it, got it, and loved it. So maybe that's what we need again, a bit of innovation instead of relying on what "used to work" or "worked in the past". Go for a new theme.

If super far in wins and you're interested in me sending in a pitch, let me know. I'll send one in.

PS:
Don't take this post as me talking shit about you. I realize the job is hard and you're trying, but facts are facts.

Last edited:

Pika

Co-Owner | Resident Gerbil
Staff member
Dumbass Lesbian
Application Master
Owner
Admin
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
I should probably note that six years is just an arbitrary number that was thrown out. If that theme wins, there's no guarantee we'll end up going with a lore that's six years into the apocalypse. It could be 10, even 20 years. You never know! That's something to decide down the line.

Anonymous

It's all well and good to look into the future, but what about right now? It's a fuck of an age till anims hits stable or even gets multiplayer compatible; so what are we doing about the low server pop? I have a suggestion.

Some of you might remember the thing themed mini lore we did to bridge the gap between ashwood cove and the road ahead and, despite some slip ups, most involved had a great time and the server retained a solid number of players every night (from recollection). My suggestion would be to run another one of these shorter, focused, easy to get into lores with no real application. Personally, I think it could be good for the server as a whole from a new player standpoint - offering this lore with no real obstacle for entry other than a short backstory for their character, allowing them a taste of the kind of things we get up to in a more concise, controlled environment with interesting things happening every night. As from a regular's standpoint, I feel it could serve as a good, low pressure low stakes environment to relax without having to worry about the long term goals of their character.

I don't really have any closing words but I voted for the far into the future one.

Anonymous

We could do a shorter supernatural lore and see how it goes. That way we can be innovative and see what works and what doesn't. Then once the animation update comes out we can switch right over.

Gummybear

I love the idea of doing another supernatural lore, so much that I'm rooting for it to win. That being said, I'm going to reiterate some previously mentioned points and be honest. I don't think the team can do it, I don't think they're capable of doing it and I don't think ninety-nine percent of them understand what made the supernatural good.

It's an opinion that's going to get me some hate but whatever. I only know of one admin currently on the team that could have the ability to write it, but she's going to be limited by 95% of the team. I know this because I've been in those shoes, and I can already see things going up in flames over it. If it wins, I'm gonna participate as much as I can, but I'm not going to be confident. I mean let me put it in this way, right? This lore we're currently in was supposed to be a Sandbox and while there are a few players still logging in--it's been two or three weeks, and we're already down to a consistent six players online. I'm not sure how much interest you're gonna be able to gauge with a supernatural lore with a player base that is mostly disinterested, or more land on the side of enjoying mech. I think going for something that can offer more appeal for both sides would make more sense paired with the oncoming new build being dropped.

There's a lot you can do with the super far in concept, too. If y'all go for that, I think doing something very far into the future would be incredibly interesting to everyone in the community and unique enough to serve as a new genre as the supernatural lore did. I mean let me tell you this, I'd even go so far as being interested in coming back to write for it.

Could do a legitimate Wasteland-ish meets Game of Thrones style lore. Factor in some light magic, supernatural shit with the background of some sort of cataclysmic event. Maybe the zombies aren't viral beings, but magical beings, or coming back from some radiation. I don't know, I think something that far in with a blend of genres, supernatural, horror, sci-fi, could be way more interesting than treading old ground. Keep this in mind, right? With the supernatural lore. It existed because of innovation. I had a hundred people telling me "MINDGATE THIS WON'T WORK. MINDGATE YOU CAN'T DO A SUPERNATURAL LORE IN PZ IT'S NOT BUILT FOR IT." but we pushed for it, got it, and loved it. So maybe that's what we need again, a bit of innovation instead of relying on what "used to work" or "worked in the past". Go for a new theme.

If super far in wins and you're interested in me sending in a pitch, let me know. I'll send one in.

PS:
Don't take this post as me talking shit about you. I realize the job is hard and you're trying, but facts are facts.
mindgate come back to the admin team, now

Spartacus96

Donator++
Top Tier Pleb
Got a idea for a new lore. How about a lore set on a giant boat and near a port city of some sort... 1 week after the infection. Idk spit balling here. Bunch of survivors rushed on board some infected some not. People trapped on board, etc etc.

a rabbit

Server Advisor
Got a idea for a new lore. How about a lore set on a giant boat and near a port city of some sort... 1 week after the infection. Idk spit balling here. Bunch of survivors rushed on board some infected some not. People trapped on board, etc etc.
It's an interesting idea, but you have to consider that players despise being trapped in one location for very long at all. It's why the whole "bunker" meme is a thing. Also, it seems more like something built for an individual event more so than an entire lore, as I don't really see that prompt outliving more than a few days at most. The thing that helps to make lores successful is that they're broad and open enough to allow the admin team wiggle room to do essentially whatever they want within the constraints of the lore.

As an aside though, should the "6 months later" (or whatever time frame) lore be chosen, I hope the admin team makes an attempt to change some things up. Things like not having the government be the big bad for once, or not having major military presence at all throughout the lore. Maybe something never seen before, I don't know.