≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

The future of this community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind
I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately. Over the last few months we have seen a steady decline in membership. We have basically non-existent donations and many of the hardcore players we had are now gone. There are many factors that could cause this. There is possibly a fix for it as well but in all honesty, I do not have the time, motivation or money to get it all sorted. This last time of having to put $50 of my own money into the account to pay for the server that I dont even have the time to play on was just too much. I cant keep paying for something that I do not even get any benefit from anymore.

I have had an offer for partnership with someone but the demands were just too high. After also discussing this with numerous people, both within and those who have left, I have seen no confidence that good would come from it either. So I am left with a choice. I could continue to try and find a new owner to replace me and they could fund the community out of their own pocket while they try and fix the issues that lead to this situation or we can the horse down.

I have not made a final decision but I will say that I will be speaking to the owner of another community about potentially absorbing our community into theirs and then stepping away. This would give them all of our resources like the forums to do what they will with. I dont know what that would mean for the admin team or what. I need to discuss this with Jian but one thing is for sure, I am stepping away before the end of the month.

I wish I could say that everything is going to be alright but really, its not. things are going to drastically change sooner, rather than later.

Andrew Noah

Donator+
Thanks for trying to get things sorted out before stepping away, respect to not just leaving.

Bezz

Professor Passive Aggressive
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Donator++
I offered you a fix and you chose to ignore it. Those demands were not “too high.” It was one thing I wanted to change that every single person that I refer to as a veteran of New Dawn and now Gateway has agreed on. So if you really want to show us, the community, that you actually know what is happening, Legion, then talk to them. Ask. Instead of just handing the problem off to someone else...

Much love.

I have had an offer for partnership with someone but the demands were just too high.
See, here's what I don't get. It's not your money, and if they're willing to pay for it, what's the problem? Bad leadership is one thing, but integrating with another community and sacrificing everything that makes us unique as a collective is a whole different beast. At least give this person a chance, cause maybe they have the 'time, motivation and money' to get it all sorted. I'm not trying to discount what you're trying to do, and what you have done, but I just feel if someone's outright willing to pay for the server and keep the ball rolling - what is there to lose? Yeah, it might be rocky, and they might not be up to the task, but at least we don't have to give up what makes us even remotely different from every other rp community out there.

Just my piece, do whatever you want with it.

Fantasia

Server Contributor
This server is one of the biggest reasons I have the friends I do now and how I was led to other games which led me to even more friends; some of you may know me very well as Host of Proselyte. I love this server, the admins, and the time put into it. If you're just handing it off to some other community to absorb, it's as Player says; We're going to lose who we are and the community's identity in its entirety. Unless they're asking completely unrealistic things of it, what's the harm in letting someone who plays the server and doesn't just plan to absorb and destroy everything about GWR/ND that makes it unique.

I understand needing to step down as owner but handing it off to some other community that isn't going to care about the integrity of how the server is and is just going to shove their own rules and ideals down the throats of those of us part of GWR isn't a solution, it'll only kill it and those of us that love it here don't want that to happen. I've seen too many others die; please just reconsider selling it to the person that offered to buy it.

EnvyDemon

Look upon my edge, ye mighty, and despair!
Staff member
The One Who Knows Tilezed
Senior Admin
Admin
Social Media Manager
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
Honestly, a server merge personally scares me, because, at the moment, this one of the least toxic communities on the internet. We don't know what would happen if we had to deal with new admins, who might be more permissive of toxic behavior than the current admin team.

MindGate

Co-Owner | Lore Goblin
Staff member
Lore Master
Owner
Admin
Donator+
Donator
I have carried this community on my back for so many years. I cannot, and will not get behind a server merge under any circumstances - if there are people willing to pay to keep it running and still have faith in the server. Give it to them. I have worked under many regime changes with the community and am fully willing to come back and resume my duties as a Lore Master and Senior Admin under whatever party assumes control over the server.

I have always viewed this server as an alternative to the others. It's always offered something that the other servers never have, a story for everyone to participate in whether good or bad. It's served as a platform for people to tell legitimate stories rather than running around mech-gaming and killing everyone for duh lolz.

Don't let it die, and sure as hell don't let it die as quiet of a death like this. If you've ever had critiques you haven't listed for fear of being reprimanded or concerns you haven't said for any reason at all. Let them loose. Show the team that you're still passionate about this community, and if you're not, well. This thread should speak for that.

Pika

Co-Owner | Resident Gerbil
Staff member
Dumbass Lesbian
Application Master
Owner
Admin
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
I love this server. I wouldn't be the senior admin if I didn't love this server. I've been around since May 2015, and have quite literally grown up with it. I'm nearly 20 now. I can't even begin to describe how much this server has helped me over the years. How it helped me to cope with my problems and how it helped me grow. I've made amazing friends and even met the love of my life because of this server. So, of course, it hurts to know it could all finally be coming to an end.

There's never going to be another PZRP server like New Dawn/Gateway. It's one of a kind. So much love and care has been put into the server over the years. MindGate especially has put more work into it than anyone else with his amazing lores. We make it work because we all care about it. By merging, the server would never be the same again. No one but the longtime players on New Dawn can understand how much has been put into all of this.

I can't say what's going to happen going forward, although I wish I could. Legion is leaving no matter what at the end of the month. There's no guarantee we'll merge with another server. We may pass over ownership to someone else, we may not. I wish there were more I could do than sit here and watch everything begin to crumble, but I'm a college student just trying to get by.

If anything, just know that I don't want the server to die. Especially not right before Build 41, when the entire game will change and so many more opportunities for roleplay will be opened. I want to do what's best for the server, whatever that may end up being.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind
Update:

There will be no merger but there will be a change of ownership as I am still stepping away regardless.

Jaded

Server Contributor
In my humble opinion, this is the best Zomboid community I've participated in, and I don't want to see it wither away like the husk it's been becoming as of the last few months. If nobody else wants to say it, I certainly will.

The people that are currently in power do not have the knowledge, the maturity, or the wherewithal to keep the server going in terms of popularity due to a number of circumstances, chiefly because most of them haven't been in the positions they've been given before and have not had the training. Basically many of them are inept. It's basic shit you see in a lot of start ups and other companies that immediately sink once the 'Old Guard' disappears.

I think we all know what a merger entails for the server as we know it; watering down the roleplay even further. The community will get swallowed up and transform into any other zomboid community. No real rules, mech gaming, minimal rp where one sees fit. We saw how those couple players that streamed the game came in, and I have no doubt that would become the norm if the server were to merge with almost any other PZ group.

I can't say that I have the solution, or even a good answer to this. I don't think anyone has one that will make everyone happy, but at the core, I think we have to be willing to, for the time being at least, let some people in the adminship go until they've displayed that they're willing to make the commitment that a high functioning server like this NEEDS if it's going to continue. I want to play, and many other players want to play, but we feel that the lores and the ideas behind them are only causing this stagnation and further deflation in player numbers.

I'm not saying that lore masters can't experiment, that they can't try things wacky and new, but it's important in times like these, when numbers are desperately needed, that they stick to formulas that are tried and proven to work. Likewise, if some people are too prideful, too egotistical to take ownership of their jobs and place their own positions over the benefit of the server, they are NOT people that deserve that power. If an admin doesn't know something, it is OKAY to ask questions. If an admin doesn't feel they have the time, it is OKAY to step down. If an admin gets criticism for some of their work, it is OKAY, but you do NOT try to vilify the person giving the criticism.

I understand that it's a hard job. I admin for 3 servers, moderate for 2 others. Two of these are over 1000+ people and that can get *very* tiring. But if you can't handle the heat, you have to get out of the kitchen. Dipping out when the work gets hard is not something this server can afford, especially at a time like this when numbers for multiplayer are down whilst everyone waits for the animations to hit MP. The way things have been moving over the last couple months didn't instill any form of confidence, and unfortunately, it seems like things will continue to follow that trend if nothing else is done.

All I can say in the end is I love the community, I've loved the time I had here. I loved all the experiences and fun we had, but it REALLY is going to fucking die at this rate. Even after the anim update hits multiplayer.

Pika

Staff member
Dumbass Lesbian
Application Master
Owner
Admin
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
First I'd like to start off that nobody knows how much money is or isn't being donated. There's no tracker, or one that I've noticed, that can help the community know that there's not enough in the bank to help the server go round. Nor a post to let people know that we're short, BEFORE you pay for it. Though I guess it doesn't matter right now since you've made this post.

I honest to god love this community, it's helped me push past some things that have been troubling me IRL. I've made some great friends here and I'd be pissed to see it go. I know what False9 had asked for when offering to pay the server and honestly I agree. Atlas has been the issue and
SOURCE of drama amplifying issues that weren't a big problem. It's why I haven't applied as an admin and I know that to be the case with a few others that won't be named. All he's asked for is that she be removed from the admin team. Nothing more. If you want examples shoot me a PM and we can talk about it there.

This goes however this goes, there needs to be some big changes in order to fix this.
I really love this community and I want to see it continue. But it seems that Legion made up his mind. I'll be lurking around, though I'm likely to leave unless this decision changes.

I do wanna say that we do, in fact, have a tracker. It's on our Patreon. It could be more visible, but Jian still has to create the tracker widget for the new forums. A majority of the things on the old forums are a result of years of custom CSS.

Also, False did ask for more than that. He requested that not only Atlas but Cascade be removed from the team as well, in addition to MindGate being reinstated as an admin. I wouldn't mind having Mind back on the team again, but I don't agree with booting two of our most helpful admins. I don't understand how Atlas is causing drama. She has been nothing but helpful ever since she joined the team. She's harsh, sure, but she's enforcing the rules. Nothing wrong with that. I feel like you're all making her out to be a problem player when that's not the truth.

I can't change Legion's decision, but I don't disagree with it, either.

Bezz

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Donator++
False910/22/2019

I was just gonna offer to pay for the server the week after the 27th

For one thing

Devlin removed from anything involving the admin team of Gateway

Bezz

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Donator++
Now I will say things are under discussion between Devlin and I... But that was the original offer. The secondary offer was quickly denied by myself and Legion but this was what I originally asked for...

EnvyDemon

Staff member
Senior Admin
Admin
Social Media Manager
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
Wait.... so... If I'm hearing this right, you waved money around to try to blackmail the server into getting rid of an admin you dislike?

The Fuck?

Pika

Staff member
Dumbass Lesbian
Application Master
Owner
Admin
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
Wait.... so... If I'm hearing this right, you waved money around to try to blackmail the server into getting rid of an admin you dislike?

The Fuck?
Yes. That's literally it.

Bezz

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Donator++
Look--That wasn't at all what it was. No blackmail, I have the logs and so does Legion and now Devlin herself. I was speaking for a majority of this community at that time in history and now? Devlin and myself are working together to fix both of our wrongs. If you want to blame me for this and that, then go for it. I will agree with you until you ultimately give up on blaming me for something you don't even have the full story for.

"But you just posted it." Not the full story. It was legit three lines of text telling my offer AT THE TIME.

EnvyDemon

Staff member
Senior Admin
Admin
Social Media Manager
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
Look--That wasn't at all what it was. No blackmail, I have the logs and so does Legion and now Devlin herself. I was speaking for a majority of this community at that time in history and now? Devlin and myself are working together to fix both of our wrongs. If you want to blame me for this and that, then go for it. I will agree with you until you ultimately give up on blaming me for something you don't even have the full story for.

"But you just posted it." Not the full story. It was legit three lines of text telling my offer AT THE TIME.
If you were the server owner, would you kick her off the Admin team?

Bezz

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Donator++
No actually. Like I said, there's two sides to each story and now Devlin and I are in discussion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.