≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Takeshi Tong Journal: Hayato Masaru

Anonymous

Dong-seok-Ma-in-Seongnan-hwangso-2018.jpg

Hayato Masaru

I remember the first time I met you was at Mr.Ryoshi 2010 new years party. Young, hotheaded and full of ambition i recall. I came to the bar and we instantly started talking and drinking telling me your love for Wild Turkey honey whiskey and women. The rest of the night is a blur. Next week or so the boss asked me to put you in my group to train you. You ran jobs for me and you learn and rise quickly as I did.

Eventually you were sent off on your own, with your own gang and I with my own. We talked every now and then but constant travel and work made it hard to stay in touch. When we did talk, you always spoke of greater ambition, you talked of leadership and out with the old in with the new. Dangerous words if spoken around the wrong people. I was not the wrong people but I did advise you to silence your thoughts. If fate was to bestow upon you a higher position then it would appear. You often looked to me for wisdom when I myself still had much to learn.

After the collapse I lost touch with you along with many other members of the Yakuza. I had just left from J.F.K. airport and landed in Miami when everything fell apart. From there I had to make my way back to New York.

Years have passed, many cities lay in ruin. I can't remember the last time we spoke. The last time I spoke to my family was at the airport. They were in New York visiting me and we're also flying back to Japan the same day I left for Miami. I pray they landed safely and are okay.

Sometime in the year 2024, I was scavenging a shopping mall in Norfolk, Virginia. Stuffing my bag with supplies and food from a shelf. When I heard a hammer cock back and felt the heavy barrel press against my back. It was a .357 Revolver. It stayed quiet for a few seconds when the man spoke and said "Got any Wild Turkey honey whiskey in there?" I slowly turned around to see Hayato Masaru standing behind me putting his revolver in his holster. He stood there smiling and chuckling. "Long time no see" He said to me. "You asshole" I said to him grinning which turned into a small smile. I asked where he had been at these passed years. Here and there he said, searching for the mother of his children and other members of the Yakuza.

From that day on for the next two years we traveled the east coast. Searching for mine and his family including any remaining Yakuza members. We looted, we fought, we survived.

October 25th 2025 we said our goodbyes to each other in New York. Hayato had no luck finding his family. I can only hope that my family made it on board on time before everything fell apart. I decided to keep searching North of New York. You wanted to move west towards Toronto. Told me you had some friends living out there and we're going to see if they were still alive. You mentioned a few times during our travels of starting a new gang. So the day we parted ways you made me the honorary first member of the Masaru Mafia. Although the mafia life is behind me, I accepted the gesture and title none the less out of respect for Hayato. We shook hands, and shared a hug. He told me "Stay strong, stay safe friend we will meet again." and we parted ways.

It is now the year 2028 and it's been three years since we last spoke but I have heard rumors through some survivors of a growing group in Toronto. I wonder if the Masaru Mafia is thriving in these trying times.

I am now nearing a small growing community I've heard talk of from other survivors. A place called Monroe. Could be a place to rest my tired feet.

Last edited by a moderator: