≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Not-so-Weekly Update: Redux / Q&A #4

MindGate

Co-Owner | Lore Goblin
Staff member
Lore Master
Owner
Admin
Donator+
Donator
INTRODUCTION
Blast from the past! We're reviving the Weekly Updates again or in this case a not-so-weekly update. There's been an awareness around the team that we haven't been as vocal as we used to be in regards to our plans, and what in general is coming next with Gateway Roleplay, so we wanted to address and change that, make some announcements, and such. This contained newsletter should go over a lot of our progress for the next lore (as well as current plans for this lore), so feel free to hit us up with questions - we'll answer what we can, and acknowledge what we can't.

WHAT REMAINS SEASON 3
We'll start off with the most pertinent thing, What We Become, What Remains, and the WWB Universe of lore - First off, I want to begin with a sincere apology, I'm aware of how grossly long I've personally taken (no blame should go on any of the other admins) in wrapping this whole thing up. It's been a difficult year for me, and I know a lot of that difficulty has reflected on the server as a whole, which is something I never wanted to happen, but it did and I can't change the past. It happened, and now here we are.

At this point, Gateway is committed to seeing What Remains through to a satisfying conclusion. We're almost there, with only one season left ... I won't promise any hard dates for when the lore would be over, as that's impossible for us to really commit to. Volunteer work can be like that, especially with how complicated and complex DMing for a wide audience (even if the server is smaller at the moment) can be. That said, I would certainly put the frame of time on the "sooner" end of the category rather than later, most of the writing for both factions (CPF and Monroe) is done. It's a matter of finding a good day to launch, and finishing some of the builds for the later season which shouldn't hold anything up at all.

Stemming off of that, I want to extend a sincere thanks to all of the players who have participated in What We Become over the last year. It won't be the last time you hear that thanks, but I've loved roleplaying with every single one of you - for better or for worse - and sincerely appreciate all the memories cultivated over the course of the lore. I can say this genuinely, it'll be something I never forget and I hope the same can be said for each of you.

WHAT COMES NEXT?
That's the big question, huh? Stating the obvious, we'll be transitioning to the animation build for all future world spaces, lore, and stories hosted on Gateway Roleplay. In addition, Pika and I have settled on rebranding our server to better reflect our unique style of campaigns as we want everyone who plans on signing up to know what they're getting themselves into from word go.

To offer some elaboration, Pika and I both feel that Gateway Roleplay has changed from its original concept enough to fall into its own genre. What we mean is this, quite a few of our lores and world spaces use experimental concepts, some of which may not even pertain to zombies or post-apocalyptic storytelling -- a lot of our goals as DMs go far and beyond that, hinting at the future, we'd love to re-visit past concepts such as Ashwood Cove, or even go further and attempt stuff in the past and far future. The possibilities in our eyes are endless. We want our rebranding to make it as clear as possible what you, the player, are walking into from minute one.
To summarize: This includes making gameplay systems more obvious and in the forefront, acknowledging our unique mediums, and featuring heavily customized maps, and so on and so forth.

We pride ourselves on being different.

Now, I know what you're wanting to know ... What's our next lore? We won't be announcing it quite yet, but we promise an announcement will come soon, possibly at the end of What We Become Season 3. But, I can promise you we've been in development for quite a while, pre-cursing the release of the animation builds entirely. That said, I do have plenty to reveal about the next lore, mainly what we've worked on.

For starters, our extremely talented resident mapper and Senior Admin, EnvyDemon has been hard at work on a fully custom map for the next lore. This will include full sections about the same size as Valley Station (with the possibility for expansion as the lore continues) complete with POIs entirely unique to our world space to help give life we haven't been able to in the past.

Please note, all buildings are subject to change upon the final release.

Depicted here is a small residential area, a few custom assets are at work.

Here we have a super GIGA-MART, one of our POIs for this section of the map.

A quick glimpse at the interior of the aforementioned super GIGA-MART.

Yet another POI! This time, a hotel and pool.

Another residential area with some different housing styles on display.

A quick look at part of another one of our POIs, a hospital. It features some neat stuff I thought was pretty cool, such as a built-in parking garage.

This is another partial shot of one of our major POIs, a high-school track, and field.

In addition to that, I have been personally working alongside crrrow, a member of the community in developing numerous retextures of vehicles, clothing, and other bits of branding to add to the experience of the next lore. We're really putting a lot of effort into adding to a wide berth of background stuff to make sure it feels like a living breathing world. Here are a few small teasers of what we've done so far:

A custom news van, belonging to one of our news organizations that will be featured in the world-building of the next lore.

Ditto! Just a lot grimier.

A few custom shirts I've made; I'd share more but I'll save them for a future post! Expect some neat callbacks to previous lores.

A unique bomber jacket that is exclusive to one of the news organizations -- SNN, or Satellite News Network.

Here's a glimpse of it in-game!

We'll be doing a bunch of custom clothing for some of the more major factions, groups, and general organizations this lore. Additionally, we're currently expecting to possibly be adding some more unique consumable items ... If we do, I feel like we could do cool things with our current combat system by fleshing it out even further using these items, with a lot of neat potentials ahead.

OTHER STUFF
This is some really minor stuff, but it may be of relevance to all of you! We're planning on doing a complete restructuring of our rules as soon as What We Become Season 3 ends, most of which will better reflect our new rebranding and better explain the community as a whole. Additionally, I plan on restructuring our current combat system to better fit with the theme of the next lore -- This will hopefully include a more fleshed-out level-up system; better combat, better loot functionality, and more abilities with in-game progression factored in.

I can't promise anything insane at the end of the restructuring of our combat system, but I'm interested in hearing any ideas or suggestions pertaining to it.

PLAYER SUGGESTIONS
Do you have any suggestions or ideas regarding these announcements? If so, feel free to hit me up with them! I’m willing to hear anything you have out in full, but I cannot promise these things will be implemented.

PLAYER Q&A
If you have any questions, drop them here! I will make it my priority to answer them with whatever information I can currently give.

IN CLOSING
Expect more of these posts as we go forward, I know we've been massively hectic in our posting of these newsletters, but we're invested in picking communication back up. We want you to see what we're working on; why we're so excited, and what comes next. I look forward to seeing what you all have to say! Thanks for reading.

AlexDE12

Been gone for a while, came back and gotta commend y'all for the great work folks o7, keep it up.

Now as for totally good and not at all joke suggestion: give everyone a musket for home defence. Just as the founding fathers intended.

EnvyDemon

Look upon my edge, ye mighty, and despair!
Staff member
The One Who Knows Tilezed
Senior Admin
Admin
Social Media Manager
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
Gotta crush Pika's dream of having a Florida Man borne disease. It's not Florida, good guess though.
It's actually a Flo Rida lore.