≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Poll Monthly Donation Subscriptions

Would you donate monthly?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind
I have been thinking about seeing if we could come up with a monthly subscription method, either through Paypal or Patreon. The concept would function just as Patreon does where you give us money every month on the first of the month and you get something.

We would naturally have to find a way to avoid anything pay-to-win but there are things we could use...

1 free extra heal each month
Sneak peek at information before its posted if possible...
MAYBE be entered into the occasional giveaway for those who subscribe monthly only (IF we can get enough monthly to donate)

There could be monthly donation amount tiers as well, offering different things depending on how much you donate each month.

I dont know what exactly will happen but I do want to see what interest there would be in this.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind
I wouldnt consider that really pay to win. There are still circumstances that would dictate that youre just dead.

Right now, we only offer 2 heals. This is most commonly used because the game can be a buggy mess. There are ways a player could in theory bypass the need for a heal. We know for a fact some have done this, though we in no way condone it. But really, think about that. 1 heal per month. Pay to win would be more, 1 heal per week or something. This is more to just make your life slightly easier, though while not giving you a real advantage... or at least any big advantage that would help you kill another player any easier at all.

So what do we mean by pay to win...

Ways to level faster
Spawning items like food, guns or cratfing materials. (things purely used for RP purposes not included)
Boosting stats
Adding skill perks
Giving players some way to kill zombies easier than other players....

Stuff like that.

EnvyDemon

Look upon my edge, ye mighty, and despair!
Staff member
The One Who Knows Tilezed
Senior Admin
Admin
Social Media Manager
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
Why have a policy like that instead of "Admin Discretion" when it comes to heals?

GoldenEagle

Donator+
I think you're not tackling this from the easier approach here. You have over a 100 players on the discord server. Lets say 40 of those are players that do play weekly on the PZ server. If you encourage existing players to donate meager amounts of 1 buck or 2 a month that would be much better than the current policy of donating 30$ for prizes and giveaways. (40 players * 2 bucks)

Second, I'd recommend using patreon, and working on spreading the page and community more than it is now by using social media and events. It took me a while to find it myself, even though its the only decent roleplaying server on PZ and perhaps any other survival game out there.

Third, the problem is not the prizes, Legion. People love to play in this server because of the atmosphere and setting you guys created. Try to focus on that while growing the community instead of offering more giveaways for $. What you guys created deserves donations regardless of any boost. And for crying out loud add a monthly progress bar for donations so people can see how much is left to fulfill monthly costs.

Last edited:

Pika

Co-Owner | Resident Gerbil
Staff member
Dumbass Lesbian
Application Master
Owner
Admin
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
I think you're not tackling this from the easier approach here. You have over a 100 players on the discord server. Lets say 40 of those are players that do play weekly on the PZ server. If you encourage existing players to donate meager amounts of 1 buck or 2 a month that would be much better than the current policy of donating 30$ for prizes and giveaways. (40 players * 2 bucks)

Second, I'd recommend using patreon, and working on spreading the page and community more than it is now by using social media and events. It took me a while to find it myself, even though its the only decent roleplaying server on PZ and perhaps any other survival game out there.

Third, the problem is not the prizes, Legion. People love to play in this server because of the atmosphere and setting you guys created. Try to focus on that while growing the community instead of offering more giveaways for $. What you guys created deserves donations regardless of any boost. And for crying out loud add a monthly progress bar for donations so people can see how much is left to fulfill monthly costs.
I'm not Legion, but I at least wanted to chime in here and say that these are super good points!! Little amounts of money do help, which is why we offer all of the perks to players if they donate $5 or more. Anything above that is just a commission. You pay Lil Bit to make you art, and half of what she makes goes to support the server. It's more expensive because art is worth money! You should never undervalue it.

I've been trying to use our social media accounts more lately. I didn't have access to them until a few days ago -- only Atlas did, as the social media manager. It can be difficult to keep up with everything, but we're trying our best! Patreon is absolutely something to look into.

We had a monthly progress bar on the old forums and it worked great. It's absolutely something we're going to implement here, though we're still working through setting up the new forums. Xenforo is weird and we'd need to manually add in the widget and make some tweaks and all that. It'll be up soon!

Thanks for your feedback, for real! We're working hard to make the server the best it can be.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind

The $30 ones are for a specific item that will require a single person to spend their free time and energy creating a picture. The, the server only gets a cut of that while the rest goes to the artist. That is why those are so much.

There are perks for any amount under $5 and more for any amount over $5. So we actively encourage small donations.

We are looking into the possibility of Patreon but we aree also looking to see if there is any interest in donating monthly because Patreon will take their % of the take as well.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind
Why have a policy like that instead of "Admin Discretion" when it comes to heals?

First, we put a cap on it because it was abused. By having a hard cap, this also forces players to play smarter instead of just full sprint down a road, not caring about zombies spawning is delayed from lag. If someone knows they can only get help a couple times, they slow down. They take things easier. They actually think about their decisions more. Do they really want to go into that building alone or do they want to bring others with them to prevent injury? See what I mean? People kept being reckless and submitting loads of heal requests and it got old, quick.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind
As of now, we only have 5 votes here, 1 of which is a hard no.... though they will gladly play monthly for free, clearly and a couple maybes. I take the maybes as "if its worth it" and they get extras.... most will not donate without extra we have found. We have a few who donate simply to keep the community alive though and we appreciate them.

EnvyDemon

Look upon my edge, ye mighty, and despair!
Staff member
The One Who Knows Tilezed
Senior Admin
Admin
Social Media Manager
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
First, we put a cap on it because it was abused. By having a hard cap, this also forces players to play smarter instead of just full sprint down a road, not caring about zombies spawning is delayed from lag. If someone knows they can only get help a couple times, they slow down. They take things easier. They actually think about their decisions more. Do they really want to go into that building alone or do they want to bring others with them to prevent injury? See what I mean? People kept being reckless and submitting loads of heal requests and it got old, quick.
That I get and is completely understamdable why the cap exists. However, giving people the ability to effectively buy heals undermines that point entirely.

If people gain extra heals from being monthly donors, they're going to feel entitled for them, even in cases where providing heals are completely uncalled for (after getting bit ramboing zeds, after a gunfight where they are shot three times.)

When the admins don't approve these, they're going to play the "but I'm a donor" card and cause a massive stink about it.

Venom

That Guy...
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
I'd personally donate monthly if I had the money to do so. Though the other problem I run into is the stability of the server's player base. It's something that I'm fairly certain frustrates everybody to no end. I know we've talked about it loads so I won't get into that conversation.

Edit: This is my first post with this signature. Seems it's massive, gotta fix that...

Pika

Co-Owner | Resident Gerbil
Staff member
Dumbass Lesbian
Application Master
Owner
Admin
Donator++
Donator+
Donator
That I get and is completely understamdable why the cap exists. However, giving people the ability to effectively buy heals undermines that point entirely.

If people gain extra heals from being monthly donors, they're going to feel entitled for them, even in cases where providing heals are completely uncalled for (after getting bit ramboing zeds, after a gunfight where they are shot three times.)

When the admins don't approve these, they're going to play the "but I'm a donor" card and cause a massive stink about it.
I already replied to you over Discord but I'll reiterate for everyone else: extra heals for donating is pay-to-win and I do not want that as a perk whatsoever. There's no way to justify it. If the two heal cap ever changes, it'll change for everyone and not just people who have donated.

Legion

Time Traveler
Admin
Hive Mind

It would only be 1 heal each month. Does it give an advantage? Yes. Is it negligible? Also yes. Like all heals, they are up to admin discretion. If they see you were "Ramboing" zombies, just like a normal heal, they would be declined.

Gummybear

I wouldn't say one extra heal is negligible. Depending on the injury, that could be huge. Personally, I'm just not for it, and if you guys are going to offer monthly subscriptions I'd want other, less cheaty benefits.