≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Max Rutherford

Anonymous

Maxine Rutherford
StatusAlive
Age41
First AppearanceS1E4: "A Brave New World"
Last AppearanceS3E9: "The First Gate"
AffiliationInner-Cities Liberation Front
OccupationEx-Senior Coalition Ranger
PittsBurger

MAX RUTHERFORD

Max is an ex-Senior Coalition Ranger. She's also an addict, a liar, a manipulator, a thief... The list goes on and on. Although she's struggled with bad habits and addictions her entire life, in recent years, she's shown a desire to change and better herself as a person. It only took, oh... Over a decade of military service to drill that into her head. Who would have thought?

That's not to say that Max has suddenly turned her entire life around—no, deep down, she'll always be a shitty, vindictive person. She can be rash, abrasive, idiotic... She'll derail an entire mission just to grab a Pittsburger or fish some change out of a fountain. The list goes on and on; but, despite all that, she does care. She's shown far more kindness and charity towards others than she ever has before, and that's got to count for something.

But, in the end, it'll always be Max against the world and she's not about to back down for anyone or anything.

Max stands at a height of about 5'7'' with a fairly fit build. Her hair, which has grown out to be choppy and gnarled, is dark brown. She has light brown eyes and a fairly pale complexion, aside from the freckles which are lightly scattered on her cheeks. She's typically seen with a snarky grin or a distant look. There are various scars scattered all along her arms and her palms are fairly callused. Her left arm has been amputated from the bicep down and there is a prosthesis in its place.

NOTICE
These relationships may be inaccurate in order to prevent metagaming.
FACTION RELATIONSHIPS
Monroe
"Still is and always will be a shitty town, but we wouldn't have been able to do it without 'em."
Max feels conflicted about Monroe.
The Coalition of Pittsford and Fairport
"With that bastard Korshunov finally outta power, things oughta start changin' fer the better. 'least, I can sure as hell hope so."
Pittsford has been home to Max since '17.
- Her general opinion of The Coalition has improved since Korshunov was deposed, though she's still on the fence.
- She's from the Liberty District.
Inner-Cities Liberation Front
"Don't regret fightin' alongside y'all. Sure, some of y'all may be more fucked in the head than others, but we fought fer a good cause."
Max publicly backed the Inner-Cities Liberation Front.
- The only member she wholeheartedly trusts is Rhea Varnado / "Barbie Doll".
- She doesn't condone the actions of the Memorial District Patriots.
The Crows
"Y'all lost a shit ton'a people fightin' a war you otherwise woulda had no real stake in. Thank you. Doubt we woulda gotten as far without y'all."
Max has a positive opinion of The Crows.
Brighton
"Never fuckin' figured we'd have allied with y'all. Weirder shit's happened, though. Guess y'all may not be as bad as I thought ..."
Max feels ambivalent about Brighton.
FAMILIAL RELATIONSHIPS
Bubba
"You've either got a taste fer flesh or yer just real skittish. Either way, yer part'a the family now."
Bubba is Max's pet snapping turtle.
- Max found him down in the abandoned mines during the episode 'Swan Song'.
Corey Jackson ✞
"The more I think back on everything, the more I realize the woman I loved died the day of the bombings. It's... cathartic, I s'pose. Don't make losin' you hurt any less, but I am movin' on with my life. I think I can finally try and be happy again. I know that'd make you happy, too."
Corey was a citizen of Pittsford and a former deputy within The Coalition.
- She was Max's fiancée.
- Max proposed to her in July of '29. They broke up in December of '29. They were back together very briefly before Corey's death.
- Corey had her legs amputated in August '29 after being pinned underneath rubble from the Bombing of Pittsford.
- She has been deceased since January of '30.
Francis ✞
"I'll see ya again one day, li'l buddy."
Francis was Max's pet rat and best friend.
- Francis had a dedicated pocket in Max's bag and was often kept in the front pocket of any coat she was wearing for twenty-one entire years.
- Max had genuinely had no idea Francis was dead, as a result of her trauma. She would replace him with a new rat every time his body completely decomposed.
- As of December '29, thanks to Rachel, she seems to have come to her senses.
Franklin Rutherford
"Fuck you."
Franklin was the father of Max.
- Max never has anything good to say about her father.
- He has been deceased since '08.
Linda Rutherford
"Wish I coulda done more."
Linda was the mother of Max.
- Max rarely mentions her mother. When she does, she's vague.
- She has been deceased since '00.
Mr. Blub
Mr. Blub is a fish that was originally kept in the Chief Ranger's waiting room.
- Max stole him while waiting to speak with Jack Bevis.
- He blubs, as his namesake would suggest.
Mr. Bubbles
Mr. Bubbles is Larue Monroe's trophy fish.
- Max stole him while waiting to speak with Larue Monroe.
- He is a goldfish-sized shark that blows green-tinted bubbles.
Rhea Varnado / "Barbie Doll"
"We did it. We actually fuckin' did it. A future with you was always kinda up in the air, what with the war and all, but now? We've got our whole lives ahead of us, and there's no one else I'd rather be spendin' that with. I love you, Rhea."
Rhea is the leader of the Dollfaces and runs 'The Dollhouse', a popular club in Pittsford's Liberty District.
- She is Max's best friend and fiancée.
- They got engaged in January of '32.
Spitfire
"Yer dumb, but I love ya."
Spitfire is Max's horse.
- He is a Bay.
- She's had him for around 6 years now.
- He is currently being kept at Outpost 2-15 in The Barrens.
Sunday
"This is it, bud. No more leavin' you behind. We're finally together full-time, as a family. Ain't been this happy about somethin' in, well ... ever. Yer the best pup I could ever ask for."
Sunday, otherwise known as Sunny, is Max's pet Golden Retriever.
- Max and Corey found him wandering in the streets near Monroe and took him in.
- After Corey's death, Max cared for Sunday on her own until Rhea moved in with her.
Sunday the Second
Sunday the Second is a fish that was originally kept in the Chief Ranger's waiting room.
- Max stole him and his entire tank after getting into an argument with Jack Bevis.
- He is a dogfish with functional arms and legs. Could Max teach him how to tap dance? Maybe.
PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS
Andrea Moss
"I don't know if you forgive me. Don't really expect you to. But ... thank you fer givin' me a chance. Ain't somethin' I think I deserve, but I'm grateful for it all the same."
Andrea is a citizen of Pittsford.
- Her parents died in the Bombing of Pittsford in August '29.
- Maurice cared for her until his death during The Coalition's siege on New Karanda in March '31.
Anton Korshunov
"Finally got what you had comin' to ya. Yer lucky they ain't fuckin' executin' you."
Anton is the former Head Councilor and leader of The Coalition of Pittsford and Fairport.
- He had been missing for approximately eight months following the Bombing of Pittsford in August '29.
- Max's unit rescued him from a slave camp where he was being held captive by Brighton.
- As of January of '32, he has been deposed and Leclair Mercier has taken back the position of Head Councilor.
Carl Miller ✞
"Honestly with they'd done more to make you suffer, but at least yer gone. You can't go ruinin' anymore lives. Good fuckin' riddance."
Carl was the leader of the Miller Family.
- He has been deceased since January '23.
Casey Hart
"You went through a helluva lot. You oughta take a long, well-deserved break."
Casey is a citizen of Pittsford and a member of The Dollfaces.
Charles Blackwell
"No way in hell we woulda been able to pull that shit off without you, Blackwell. I owe you one, big time."
Charles is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He is a member of Truman's unit.
Curtis Norton / "War Pig"
"You remind me a lot of Corey. Stubborn as fuck, refusin' to admit that you just ain't fit to do everything you could before. I get it. Just hope you manage to accept everything, eventually.
Curtis is a citizen of Pittsford and a Lieutenant for The Dollfaces.
Darren McKidd
"Yer one helluva soldier, McKidd. I know I've kinda shit-talked you over the years, but yer a good man. I mean it. We really are more similar than I thought."
Darren is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He was rescued from a Brighton slave camp during 2-15's mission to take back Head Councilor Korshunov.
- Max is his commanding officer.
Del
"I think maybe you've been Rae's rock durin' all this, even more than I have. Thanks fer always bein' there for her."
Del is a citizen of Pittsford and a member of The Dollfaces.
- He's Rhea's bodyguard and long-time friend.
Demi McIntosh
"Almost thought we'd lost ya. I'm so fuckin' glad we managed to find you 'n the others. Hang in there, McIntosh."
Demi is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- She is William Kozuch's adopted daughter.
- Max is her commanding officer.
Don Jones
"Re-appeared outta nowhere, it feels like. But thanks for helpin'—means a lot."
Don is a resident of Monroe County.
- Max saw him collecting Marian Castle's bounty in Pittsford.
Duke Helmer
"The fact that you didn't manage to get yer ass blown to smithereens is a fuckin' miracle, Helmer. You deserve all the praise in the goddamn world."
Duke is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
Dwayne Clancy
"Can't believe I'm actually ... grateful to have you here. I should be fuckin' hurlin', goddammit. But ... thank you fer helpin' Rae. It means more than I can explain."
Dwayne is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He is Henry Clancy's son.
- He is Dwight's godson.
Dwight Kilean
"Kilean, you crazy son of a bitch—nothin' could ever off you! Once we're back home, I'm buyin' you a drink. Hold me to that."
Dwight is a citizen of Pittsford and the current Quartermaster for The Coalition.
- He is Junior's father.
- He is Dwayne's godfather.
Eddie
"Can't believe I'm sayin' this, but I think I woulda been upset if you'd drowned back there. Yer a good guy, Eddie. A li'l fucked up, sure, but who isn't? You remind me a lot of myself when I was younger. Shouldn't be so hard on you..."
Eddie is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He mans the toll booth at The Breach.
- Him and Max have a complicated relationship.
- He often tries to extort drugs and alcohol from Max.
Emily Laidlaw
"Kinda surprised you lived. Even more surprised Foster got you fuckin' pregnant. But ... I think y'all'll be good parents. Probably. You deserve that chance."
Emily is a citizen of Pittsford.
- She is Greg's girlfriend.
Ethan Vance ✞
"Good fuckin' riddance. You got the slow and painful death you deserved."
Ethan was a citizen of Pittsford and a Senior Ranger within The Coalition.
- He was killed during the events of 'The Secret Fate of All Life' at the Lake Ontario Observation post in September '31.
Francis Hood
"Fuck you."
Francis is a citizen of Pittsford and an agent for The Office of Strategic Intelligence.
- He directly caused Max Stone's death.
- He executed Nat Brackenridge during The Coalition's siege on New Karanda in March '31.
- His current status is unknown.
Francis King
"We did it. We actually fuckin' did it. Knew we'd make a good team, King."
Francis is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- He did not choose to be a Ranger, but was instead conscripted.
- He amputated Max's left arm after she was bitten during their attempt to secure Pittsford after the bombing in August '29.
- As of 'The Secret Fate of All Life', Francis now unofficially leads Unit 2-15 alongside Max.
Francis Nial
"Gone again. Like a goddamn ghost."
Francis is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- He was Max's main dealer for years.
- He was in prison for six months for a whole slew of crimes.
Gabriel Barton
"... You were a good man, Barton. Hate that you went out that way. If anyone deserved to die there, it sure as hell wasn't you."
Gabriel is a citizen of Monroe County.
- He was being held prisoners by the Millers when Unit 2-15 found him and his people.
Grace Harvey
"Yer my biggest regret."
Grace is Max's ex-girlfriend.
- Max has suffered from many delusions and hallucinations featuring Grace, and heavily regrets her actions.
- Her current status is unknown, but she is presumed to be deceased.
Greg Foster
"You, a father!? Goddamn, Foster. You survived this shit, so you'd better make the most of that."
Greg is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- He is Emily's boyfriend.
- He and Max are kinda-sorta friends.
Henry Clancy
"Can't believe I'm sayin' this, but thank you. No one better to fly that bird than you."
Henry is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He is Dwayne Clancy's father.
Hana Takeuchi
"You put yerself out there on the front lines and saved a shit ton'a lives. Yer a fuckin' amazing medic, Takeuchi, and you should be proud of yerself."
Hana is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- She's originally from the Memorial District where she lived with her sister and sister-in-law before being stationed in The Barrens.
Jack Bevis
"Still don't like you, but thanks for pullin' back. Saved a lotta lives, I bet."
Jack is a Ranger General who is currently serving as Chief Ranger for The Coalition.
- He and Max do not get along in the slightest.
- He is Rachel's father.
Jared Vaugerson
"You stuck with us when you didn't even have to. Thank you, Vaugerson."
Jaren is a Ranger who was sent to the Canadian Border Zone for life.
- He leads the group at the Canadian Border Zone.
Jason Selby
"..."
Jason is a citizen of Pittsford and an agent for The Office of Strategic Intelligence.
Jeremiah Miller ✞
"Li'l peeved I wasn't the one to end you once and fer all, but at least yer finally dead."
Jeremiah was a member of the Miller Family.
- He has been deceased since January '23.
Junior Kilean
"Badassery runs in the family, huh? Couldn't have done this without you'n yer unit."
Junior is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He is Dwight's son.
Kaari'nai
"..."
Kaari was a citizen of Monroe and its former Head of Medicine.
- She was 'killed' by Carl Miller in January of '32.
Kimber
"Li'l weird seein' you not through some glass. All that workin' out has sure paid off, though."
Kimber is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- Otherwise known as the 'Attractive Female Ranger Working Out.'
- Kimber abandoned the Coalition for the Inner-Cities Liberation Front where Max found her residing on New Karanda.
Larue Monroe
"Thought we'd lost ya. Really did. Don't know how you managed to get yer ass outta there, but I'm damn glad you did."
Larue is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger General within The Coalition.
- He is the former Chief Ranger.
Leclair Mercier
"Yer a fuckin' amazing leader compared to that bastard Korshunov. Glad to have you back in charge."
Leclair is the current Head Councilor of Pittsford and a former member of the General Health Committee.
Leslie Winton
"You did what we've all been dyin' to do fer years. Finally offed that psychotic motherfucker, Carl. Couldn't be more proud of you, Wint."
Winton is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- He is Sang-Hwa's fiancé.
Mansukh Ramachandran
"Woulda lost a helluva lot more people without yer help. Thank you."
Mansukh is a resident of Monroe County.
- Max and her unit rescued him and his people from the Trenholm Clans.
Marcie Graham
"Real glad you and Tara both managed to get through this. You deserve to be happy together. Make the most of whatever time she's got left, yeah?"
Marcie is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
Marcus Baczek ✞
"Guess it actually killed you in the end, huh. Who woulda seen that comin'?"
Marcus was a citizen and Peacekeeper of Monroe.
Marshall Grant
"Still kinda think yer a coward, but we finished this shit so ... don't really matter."
Marshall is the leader of the Inner-Cities Liberation Front and United Citizens Group.
Marvin Findlay
"Without yer crazy hackin' skills, we wouldn't have gotten anywhere. Thank you, Marv. You practically saved the entire goddamn world."
Marvin is a citizen of Pittsford.
- He is Max's therapist.
- He is Sharon's boyfriend.
Matias Brühl / "Baby Daddy"
"You just keep goin' through shitty situation after shitty situation, huh. Honestly just glad yer alive. Rae needs you, now more than ever. Hang in there, man."
Matias is a second-in-command of The Dollfaces.
- He took the fall for Rhea in '29 when Max and her unit were sent to arrest the two of them and was imprisoned until his escape in '31.
Maurice Foree ✞
"I really wish things hadn't ended that way. Andrea's safe, but yer gone and Rachel's all torn the fuck up inside. You were a good man, Maurice."
Maurice was a citizen of Pittsford and a member of the Inner-Cities Liberation Front.
- He was killed by Jason Selby during The Coalition's siege on New Karanda in March '31.
- He was Rachel's boyfriend.
Melissa Nelson / "Missy" ✞
"Still ain't sure what to think. But ... you sure as hell went out with a bang."
Missy was a citizen and Peacekeeper of Monroe.
- She has been deceased since January of '32.
Michelle Reed
"I don't know how I feel. Pissed off. Betrayed. A lotta shit. But what you did ain't somethin' I can just up'n forgive. You'd better watch yer fuckin' back."
Michelle is a citizen of Pittsford, a former Ranger within The Coalition, and a former agent for the Ranger Intelligence Group.
- She and Max were very good friends—or, at least, Max would have liked to think so—before Michelle ultimately snapped.
- Her current status is unknown.
Miller Wardwell
"You helped a ton, man. You'n yer whole unit. You should be proud."
Miller is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
Miranda Ward
"Can't say I ever coulda imagined you bein' there with us in the end, but I'm damn glad you were. Thank you, Ward. Fer everything."
Miranda is a citizen of Pittsford, the head of the General Health Committee, and a member of the council.
Nat Brackenridge
"I don't think it's fully hit me yet. Everything's sort of a blur. You put yer revenge fantasy aside long enough to save a lotta lives, and I'm so fuckin' grateful fer that... But now yer gone. It's never gonna be the same without you."
Nat was a citizen of Fairport and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- Outpost 2-15 was their first deployment as a full-fledged Ranger.
- Max jumped in to save Nat from a horde and was bitten as a result. Her arm was subsequently amputated.
- Nat was executed by Francis Hood during the Coalition's siege on New Karanda in March '31.
- Max was their commanding officer.
Oswald Green ✞
"Even in yer last moments, you were helpin' others. That's somethin' everyone should aspire to do. Yer sacrifice won't be forgotten, Green."
Oswald was a resident of Monroe County and a former Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
- He has been deceased with January of '32.
Paw
"...Why, man? Just—Why?"
Paw is a citizen of Pittsford and a Ranger within The Coalition.
- He was Max's commanding officer and best friend.
- He was a model for both regular and adult magazines back in Pittsford.
- He was serving an indeterminant amount of time at the Canadian Border Zone as a result of his sex scandal.
Rachel Bevis
"Never thought we'd make up, honestly. But ... I'm real glad we did. May never be able to fix what happened, but at least we can move forward with our lives.
Rachel is a resident of Monroe County and a deputy within The Coalition.
- She is Max's second-in-command.
- She is Jack's daughter.
Robbie B. Badd ✞
"Good fuckin' riddance. The world's better off without ya, you slimy bastard."
Robbie was the leader of The Dollfaces, having taken over after Rhea's leave.
Seth Denton
"You'n yer people have really saved our asses more times'n I can count. Thanks. Fer real."
Seth is a resident of Monroe County.
- He was rescued from the Trenholm Clans by Max and her unit.
Sharon Kravitz
"Can't thank you 'n Marv enough. Really saved our asses."
Sharon is a citizen of Pittsford and a former member of the Pittsford City Guard.
- She is Marvin's girlfriend.
Stephen Drummer
"The big fight's done. Just hope the same can be said 'bout the war."
Stephen is a citizen of Pittsford and a member of the United Citizens Group.
Tara Garland
"Wouldn't have been able to end this without you. I had you 'n the rest'a Brighton all wrong. Thank you, Tara."
Tara is a former engineer for Brighton.
- She escaped Brighton and has since been working with the Coalition—more specifically Unit 2-15.
Texas Battle
"..."
Texas is a resident of Monroe County.
- He is a former citizen of Monroe.
- He was 'killed' by Carl Miller in January of '32.
Terry Winters ✞
"If anything, I guess I've finally got some closure. We accomplished what we needed to accomplish ... and that's what matters."
Terry was a citizen and the former Minister of Monroe.
- She and Max were once good friends.
- She has been deceased since January of '32.
Thomas Blackwell
"Yer an absolute beast in a fight. Couldn't have done it without you, Blackward."
Thomas is second-in-command of The Crows.
Truman Parker
"Still don't entirely understand why you've stood with us all this time. You didn't have to. You coulda stuck with the Coalition and kept livin' yer life. But ... you didn't. So thank you, Parker. Genuinely don't think many of us would still be alive today without the help of yer unit."
Truman is a citizen of Pittsford and a Senior Ranger within The Coalition.
Tümas / "The Crow Mother"
"Not sure how long you've got left—you looked pretty damn bad last I saw you—but thank you fer enlistin' yer people to help us end this. Hot, and a good leader. Don't see that every day."
Tümas is a resident of Monroe County and the leader of The Crows.
- Max thinks she's incredibly attractive. It's a running joke at this point.
Tyrell Mason
"We fuckin' did it, Mason. Oughta be proud of that."
Tyrell is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
Wendy Kang
"Hope you can move forward with a clear conscience, Kang. Yer a good woman, and a valued member of this unit."
Wendy is a citizen of Pittsford and a Junior Ranger within The Coalition.
William Kozuch
"There were a lotta times I thought we'd lost you, but I'm so fuckin' glad yer still with us in the end, Kozuch.."
William is a citizen of Pittsford and the current Lead Close-Quarters-Combat Instructor for The Coalition.
- William trained Max when she first became a Ranger.
- He is Demi's adoptive father.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous

some relationships from day 1, one of max's unluckiest days thus far.

Anonymous

and now for your regularly scheduled update. lemme know if I missed you.

Anonymous

I may be forgetting some people, but here's an update!

edit: also thanks to mind for helping me find a better fc for max!

Last edited by a moderator: