≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Julian Carmichael-Ortiz

Anonymous

Julian Carmichael-Ortiz
Biographical Information
Current Status. . . . .
GenderMale
HairBlack
Eye ColorBrown
Age48
Height5'9"/175 cm
Weight154 lbs/69 kg
Blood TypeO-Positive
EthnicityCaucasian-Puerto Rican
Personal Information
HometownAllentown, PA
NationalityAmerican
ReligionBaptist
OccupationMinister of Monroe
AffiliationsMonroe

B I O G R A P H Y
"It's a long, long tale, my friend. Let me get a drink, and perhaps I'll be able to indulge your curiousity.."

Julian Carmichael-Ortiz currently serves as the second Minister of Monroe, holding the position for over two years. His predecessor was Martin Hyung, who led a small group of survivors to Monroe County and founded the settlement. Those that have been around for some time know that Julian values a balanced mix between citizen's rights and security, though not everyone agrees with his policies. Those that have been around since the start of his tenure know that it has taken its toll, his hair now a mix of black and gray.

He doesn't talk much about his life after the Red Eyes Pandemic began, but does occasionally talk about his life prior to that. It's general knowledge that Julian once had a wife and three children. He doesn't talk much about them past that.

A P P E A R A N C E
Julian stands at around 5’9, thin and weathered. His skin is studded with small scars and he has a somewhat tired expression. Yet he offers a smile, giving his aged features something akin to a grandfatherly feel. His tanned complexion is adorned with a scraggly, somewhat kept goatee and a short cut hair, both speckled with black and gray, the salt and pepper tones hinting at his age. His gaze hangs upon you, wholesome and cheerful, though there's...something. You can't quite place your tongue on it. He wears a light cardigan, a heavier black coat hanging from his shoulders above it. It's clean, surprisingly so considering the state of the world at the moment, though there are some light stains here and there. His pants, khaki trousers, are a bit more like what one would expect, with stains particularly packed near where his dark gray boots lie.

P E R S O N A L I T Y
Julian comes off as a friendly, if not at times a stern figure in the Monroe community. A skilled negotiator, Julian tries to be fair and openhanded towards both those in and out of Monroe. Overseeing the construction and expansion of Monroe, he understands that life is filled with risks, something the community must commit to survive in the long term. He cares about all those that come to him, and will offer help and advice to anyone asking, young or elderly, man or woman.

R E L A T I O N S H I P S
Positive Neutral Negative Trust Platonic Romantic
Name Key: ALIVE DEAD MISSING INFECTED

"Monroe"
"Remember. Stay strong. If we don't work together, then there's nothing left for us."
Julian is the current leader of Monroe. It's a small settlement currently spanning four or five city blocks.
∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎

"The Coalition of Pittsford and Fairpoint"
"It's only natural that they want us to band with them. Still, I'm not sure I can go through with such a prospect, despite the hardships we face...it's all so tiresome."
The CPF is a loose coalition of factions that protect one another with Rangers and Lawmen. They occasionally send traders and bounties to Monroe.
∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎

"Brighton"
"A bunch of rumors with no circumstantial evidence that it even exists. It's nice to imagine that there's some "holy land" with limitless supplies and eternal safety, but we have to be realists here."
Julian's only heard rumors from travelers and citizens about Brighton. Although he's seen plenty of crazy things over the last decade, the notion of a completely safe place doesn't seem possible anymore.
∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎

"The Crows"
"I've seen loco y extraño people; cannibals, murderers, psychos y dumbasses. At least what people tell me, these people aren't utterly hostile."
Julian's only heard rumors from travelers and citizens about The Crows. So long as they don't try to undermine Monroe or cause harm, he doesn't pay too much mind.
∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎

FAMILIA

Isabella Ortiz

"Not a day goes by where I don't think back to then and think "what could I have done differently?" Maybe you'd be here with me if I had acted faster..."
Isabella was Julian's wife. She died early in the outbreak.

Rosaline Carmichael-Ortiz
"If I could find that soldier, I would kill him for what he did to you. You deserved far better, mi reinita... I'm sorry..."
Rosaline was one of Julian's daughters. She died early in the outbreak.

Jaime Carmichael-Ortiz
"...I was far too harsh to you, chiquito. I shouldn't have yelled at you."
Jaime was Julian's son. He died several years into the Red Eyes Pandemic.

Lucija Carmichael-Ortiz
"I refuse to believe you're dead, Lucija. You were always so resourceful, so clever, and so patient... so long as you're smart, I know you'll be alright... I know it."
Lucija is one of Julian's daughters. The two were separated by bandits during the journey up to New York. He refuses to believe she's dead.

MONROE

Martin Hyung

"I hope you're watching how things are going from up there, vato. I don't know if I'm doing everything exactly as you'd done, hopefully I'm close. We're only here cause of you."
Martin Hyung was one of Julian's closest friends. Julian was his deputy and first choice to lead should something happen to him. Julian isn't sure if he can fill his shoes.

Roscoe Gray
"Your kid's doing great, cabron. I know you'd be pretty proud of what he's managed to accomplish. Though, I do think he's got been reading a bit too much from Chavez and Guevara. Hahah... He's good. Definitely your son."
Roscoe Gray was one of Julian's friends and a fellow Head of Monroe. They didn't always see eye to eye, but the two both cared a great deal for the community. Some found Roscoe's death circumstances mysterious and believe that Julian may have had a hand in it, but he disputes such claims.

Maria Gomez
"From what the scouts told me, you went out fighting... I don't know who murdered you like that, but we'll find out who did it and avenge you. Hopefully the new Head Scout holds the same level of skill as you."
Maria Gomez was Monroe's fourth Head Scout and recently killed by December 2028. She took her job very seriously and was efficient, clever, and quick thinking.

Heath Maxwell
"Although you're a bit...out there at times, you've done a great job with what we have overall..."
Heath Maxwell is the first and current Head Doctor at Monroe.

Charles Gideon
"I know how hard Carol's death was on you; the fact you've stepped up and taken the initiative ever since has only shown that you were a great choice. Lets make sure we can continue keeping everyone safe."
Charles Gideon is the third Chief of Security at Monroe.

Arlo Gray
"Even though you're quite a bit younger than the other Heads, you do have a good head on your shoulders and pull off your work well. Even if sometimes you're a bit stepping out of your bounds."
Arlo Gray is the second Chief of Construction in Monroe.

Anthony Wilson
"Without your farming expertise, there's no way we could've survived. You're an essential part of Monroe and I know that even when you pass on, the knowledge you've imparted on the rest of the farmers will help keep Monroe running long after you pass."
Anthony Wilson is the Chief of Agriculture and Cultivation.

Job
"Somehow you always seem to know just what to say about a given situation. Definitely a few times I don't know where we'd be without your input even if you're not one of the Heads."
Job is one of Julian's friends and one of Monroe's blacksmiths. Julian often accepts advice from him and sees him as a pivotal member of the community.

S O N G S B U T A M E M O R Y

Last edited by a moderator: