Donations News and Ideas for donations

Legion

Time Traveler
Hive Mind
As you may have gathered or heard, we are switching to a monthly donation model. This means that the perks you get will be monthly.

From a back end perspective, you will continue to have a donator badge forever. However, we will have multiple donator badges. Some add perks, others do not. For you the users, they will look the same but once expired will offer no perks like changing name colors, etc.

The 3 ranks for now are...

• Donor
  • Donor+
  • Donor++
You can see what they each currently offer here - https://www.patreon.com/gatewayroleplay

What I am looking for however is feedback on what other things we can offer. We want to avoid anything pay to win, partially because if we don't, TIS will remove our server from the public server list as well. That said, we are fully open to suggestions here. I have enabled the ability to post as anon on this as well so that other players will be unable to see its you suggesting it if you so choose but admins will be able to see who.

Now for the question I am sure you want to know....

Why are we switching to monthly donations for perks?
We are switching because until now, we have had no clue how much we would get for donations. This is uaully in the single digits but still. People until now could donate a single time to get everything they want and there is no need to donate again. Some people like to donate to support the server while most only donate to get a perk. Those who donate to only get a perk have traditionally, never donated again because they got their perk.

If you have any questions about this change as well, feel free to ask in the comments and I will try to answer all that I can as fast as I can.

GoldenEagle

Donator+
Alright! First of all:

- Application priority. This means that you will have your application looked at as soon as its seen and done as quick as possible.
- Ability to see $8 and $5 tier only posts.
- Additional thread bumps.
- Shoutbox rate limiting removed.
- Ability to add images to your signature.

These "perks" would drive people away from the whole server and not just donations. These makes non-donators feel like plebs. Not to mention that none of these perks inspire long term donations which is BAD!

So now we get to the juice, how can I inspire everlasting donations from everyone? This is where we get to the second point.

Accumulated donations. Hallelujah!!!
Remember that time you were willing to let LilBit draw up some portraits for 30$ one-time donations? Make them 40$ of accumulated monthly donations of 1, 2, 5, 8 whatever until they get to that amount!

Do you want to play a role in the next humongous (Humongous Wot?) lore we're creating? No probs, lets see if your accumulated donations got to 25$!

Need a T-Shirt with "Gateway RolePlay" on it? Donate 1$ for 15 months and get it!

So on and so forth. This way we're all equal, we all have the same priority and respect but some of us would have badass portraits and t-shirts while others wont.

Good luck, and these are definitely some exciting times :)

Legion

Time Traveler
Hive Mind
Alright! First of all:

- Application priority. This means that you will have your application looked at as soon as its seen and done as quick as possible.
- Ability to see $8 and $5 tier only posts.
- Additional thread bumps.
- Shoutbox rate limiting removed.
- Ability to add images to your signature.

These "perks" would drive people away from the whole server and not just donations. These makes non-donators feel like plebs. Not to mention that none of these perks inspire long term donations which is BAD!

So now we get to the juice, how can I inspire everlasting donations from everyone? This is where we get to the second point.

Accumulated donations. Hallelujah!!!
Remember that time you were willing to let LilBit draw up some portraits for 30$ one-time donations? Make them 40$ of accumulated monthly donations of 1, 2, 5, 8 whatever until they get to that amount!

Do you want to play a role in the next humongous (Humongous Wot?) lore we're creating? No probs, lets see if your accumulated donations got to 25$!

Need a T-Shirt with "Gateway RolePlay" on it? Donate 1$ for 15 months and get it!

So on and so forth. This way we're all equal, we all have the same priority and respect but some of us would have badass portraits and t-shirts while others wont.

Good luck, and these are definitely some exciting times :)
So I'm on mobile and using voice to text so bear with me a minute.

we have tried accumulated rewards in the past and there is a problem with that. If you make the reward permanent people will only donate long enough to get the perks and then stop. We've seen it time and time again and that's just what happens. That's why we're trying to go with a monthly set up instead to actually encourage repeated donations.

The problem with using physical goods when using a cumulative donations is that say we want to offer a t-shirt. If we're going to do that we're going to have to use a make on-demand type service and they run about $20. To make any sort of a prophet, we would have to make it so that you would have to donate more than $20 in order to get this. so you donate $25 and you want to get your t-shirt. That means we've only made $5 and after patreon has taken their cut, we've made about $4. Now think about this for a second too, say that's 15 months down the line they've donated that amount, now suddenly we have to cover that cost because odds are all that money donated before that has gone to taken care of the server. This creates a financial hardship on us and considering we don't make any profit at all from this and that every single month I have to put money from my bank account into our PayPal account to pay the bills, that's not really going to work. That would just mean that I personally have to start buying people t-shirts or whatever physical item there is.

as for donating to be able to post pictures on signatures and stuff like that there was a reason for it. Our web server is hosted on the same exact server as our game server. You are effectively paying to compensate for the extra resources the web server now has to use and take away from the game server resources. I know it sounds like we're going to make certain people seem like they're less important but that's what you're paying for. Sure pain to compensate for the extra resources the web server now has to use to load up all of those extra images. The four of us actually have an option where the main page can have a bunch of images that show the different categories and all that. The primary reason we didn't even try to use that when we launched the forms is that because it creates a hit on the server resources. Every image that's loaded creates a hit. Things like the boxes in the text create a far less hit on the server resources. That's why when it comes to things like images we wanted to be less when possible or in the very least get money to pay for the server but it's going to be more if you can.

Now that's you accumulated benefits and perks. like I mentioned, we tried it before it again people will only donate as much as they have two so it's only good for the short-term but hinders us in the long term because now we have to prepare Charlie provide extra perks for people who have donated so much in the past and that they never have to again and so unfortunately most won't ever again. It's unfortunate but it's a trend we have seen over and over again.

I know I'm jumping around a bit but again I'm on mobile so I'm just going back and forth as I talk out what I'm saying. Now when it comes to the commission worked we are going to keep that as a one-time payment because a chunk of that money goes to the actual creator of the art. So if we sit there and do accumulated donations for that, say someone gets up to say $30 and they redeem it as per the perk table. That's pray for them because they get the perks and that face claim but unfortunately now we have to cover half of that amount donated in total to the artist for the commission. That effectively means it's coming out of my bank account because considering we never have gotten a full month's worth of donations consistently, I'm probably going to have to pay her because all of that money that was donated before that likely went to actually pay the server costs. this falls back in line with accumulated donations for physical goods. What it means is that I personally am going to have to Shell out even more money then I would have to cover these things. I'm trying to pay less money and that would have me paying more. It's great if somebody doesn't redeem the face claim because then all of the money donated goes towards the server. As soon as they do, I lose money which means the community loses money. It sounds good in theory but in reality it wouldn't be all that practical. One thing I was thinking about doing and it's kind of how it was before is that if you donated for the face claim you would get perks at least on a monthly subscription Bass, for a few months. Let's say if you would buy a face claim you would get the other parks for three months. That's not bad because for say $40 you would be getting a face claim and about $24 worth of perks. This assumes that they would be given the $8 perks for 3 months.

So the ability to see the $5 it ain't over patreon only posts, these are special posts or would be special posts that might have sneak peeks or whatever else. This is actually a very common practice on patreon and does not drive people away. It's a bonus for those who donate. It could be anything from early information or sneak peeks at art or whatever else. It's things that everyone will see soon enough but they get to see you a little bit sooner.

now for the shelf box perks and the thread bumps, people already have these but there are limits. We are actually rather generous already and it's just that people would get more. We have yet to see anybody even reach the amount of maximum thread bumps anyway so it's a moot point. The same thing applies for the shell box limit. It's kind of a moot point and only buffs what people would have.

S44m signatures, one thing we could potentially do would be to limit the amount of forum signature stuff which we have done while still providing people certain things within it which we have. we could allow for additional images and stuff like that when you donate but still allow for an image even if you didn't donate. All it does is give more for donating then you already would have Walmart limiting things too much.

so what we would really love to see you though or some ideas of things we actually can offer people who donate on a monthly basis. That's what we really need. We need ideas for things to offer since I've already kind of established why and accumulated perk system doesn't really work for our type of community because we've seen it and have proof that it doesn't work. I really wish it did work but it just doesn't.

GoldenEagle

Donator+
Thanks for the thorough reply!

If exact prices are not working, then why not inflate the prices to accommodate whatever items you'd be giving in return of accumulated donatons?

Just like when you play on these mini gift machines where they shill over 10 bucks just so you could "win" a teddy. The t-shirt would be idk 80$ instead of a meager 20.

On the other hand, I agree that this would be a bad idea if you'll be getting small amount of donations monthly, like 30 dollars a month. But in the event you could break even and get profit then it would definitely be taken out of profits.

All of this aside, you need better marketing on all the different channels. Weekly reddit posts on different social media would do you wonders. And when the servers get full you can assert the scarcity principle by prioritising donators.

All in all, I'm quite interested in knowing how you implemented accumulated donations before. And since it did get you some money I wouldn't call it a total failure! Good luck and have a nice day boo.