≫ WHAT WE BECOME: SURVIVOR STORIES APPLICATIONS ≪

• Applications for What We Become: Survivor Stories are currently on hold while we work on creating our second wave of combat tests.

What We Become: Survivor Stories is a series of bite-sized scenarios meant to test our new and improved combat system in action! Our first wave contained 5 different scenarios, all taking place within the What We Become universe. Our second wave will contain 5 more scenarios. If you've been waiting to play on the server, now's your chance!

Additionally, each scenario has a limited number of slots for each role in the party, as well as an overall participation limit. If you apply for a role/scenario that is already full, you will be asked to apply for a different role/scenario. You can view the number of slots remaining for the current scenario on its respective forum post, linked above.

Make sure to check out our latest newsletter if you haven't yet! It has lots of information about our upcoming lore, among other things.

Arlo Gray

Anonymous

Arlo Gray

Arlo’s reputation is largely correlated with his late father Roscoe, the larger than life Chief of Construction within Monroe. Roscoe was an outspoken, caring, extremely competent man who played an integral role in the foundation of Monroe, both in its physical construction and in assisting in the drafting of its laws and values. In particular, Roscoe valued keeping Monroe as an independent city-state and balancing the extreme importance of security with morality and freedom. As a short-time resident of the Coalition of Fairpoint and Pittsford, he was particularly adamant about Monroe’s independence from their pseudo-state, deeming them to be authoritarian in nature and fueled by corruption and internal strife.

Arlo shares his dad’s loyalty to Monroe and his desire to evolve it into a thriving community, however he is very much his own man. More reserved than his father, he is similarly outspoken about his ideas but more closed off in his personal life. One of few people alive in his age range, Arlo grew up in the apocalypse and his thinking seems to be grounded both in the new world order and in the values his father instilled in him.

Upon Roscoe’s death, Arlo was offered his dad’s position as Chief of Construction. Originally reluctant to take on the responsibility and worried about his qualifications, Arlo ultimately accepted the role where he has shown his competence time and time again, keeping the infrastructure of Monroe well maintained while actively working on additional improvements.

While lacking his dad’s gregarious nature, Arlo has shown himself to be similarly competent, value-driven, and committed to Monroe’s well-being. He has also proven himself to be proficient in combat, having no trouble physically defending the community from any encroaching threats. While initially his despondence over his father’s demise caused him to disengage from the community, Arlo has lately shown himself to become more involved with the community around him, mirroring his father’s participation in town hall meetings.

Appearance
Arlo stands at 5’11” and weighs 175 lbs. Like his dad, he is a very muscular man with an athletic build. His stature serves him well both in construction and combat, proving to be an asset in his survival. While working, he dons his father’s old leather toolbelt, well stocked with Monroe’s collection of tools and equipment. He keeps his hair and beard closely cropped and tries to maintain decent hygiene.

Relationships:

NOTICE

These relationships may be inaccurate in order to prevent metagaming.

FACTION RELATIONSHIPS

Monroe

"Dad and I have been to so many places since all this started, it’s hard to get attached. But this place really does feel like home. Dad thought it could be something permanent and I’m going to do what I can to make sure that happens. It’s what he would’ve wanted."

- He has proven himself loyal to the town and willing to actively defend it.

- He serves Monroe as its Chief of Construction, showing competence in both the construction and leadership aspects of the hectic role.
The Coalition of Pittsford and Fairpoint

"Dad and I stayed there for close to a year before we helped start Monroe. Dad was convinced they were gonna expand themselves too big and fall because of it. He also thought they were corrupt dicks with a hard on for power. I’ve never known dad to misread a situation before, so I’m inclined to take his point of view."

Arlo is hostile towards the CPF and is actively opposed to integrating within their society.
The 'Crows'

"I heard a couple things about them over the last year or so. Seems like an odd bunch of folks. Hope they don’t cause trouble"

Arlo is suspicious of the Crows and would like to avoid them as much as possible..
Brighton

"I’ve heard rumors about this place over the years. Seems like they could be useful trade partners, if they didn’t isolate themselves so much."

Arlo sees Brighton as potential allies and thinks a relationship would be economically beneficial.
The United States of America

"I don’t remember much about things before, everything back then it kind of a haze when I think about it. I know dad said the way things were in the country made it really hard for people like him and mom to have a good life. He seemed to think we could make something better, like some kind of positive out of the world changing like it did. I dunno, I guess dad could live in a fantasy land sometimes, if you got him talking."

Arlo doesn’t much understand the way societies were structured before the fall of civilization. His thinking of the United States of America is largely rooted in his current understanding of societal organization.

PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS

Roscoe Gray

"I miss you so much. It’s hard to keep going without you, but I’m trying really hard to be the man you wanted me to be and to keep your memory alive. Sometimes it's hard, I feel like everybody looks at me and just sees you. But I'm doing my best to make you proud and stay true to myself. Thank you for everything you did for me."

He is the deceased father of Arlo and the previous Chief of Construction.
Amber Gray

"I don’t remember you very well, but I remember I loved you and I remember how sad I felt watching you get sick and die. I know how hard it was for dad, too. He still talked about you sometimes, even after all this. I think maybe it was good for me, having you die. It taught me how things work nice and early."

She is the deceased mother of Arlo. She died of cancer three years prior to the start of the apocalypse.
Martin Hyung

"He was a good friend of dad, who trusted him to run this place well. I know my old man was real bummed by his death. I think things would be better here if he hadn’t got bit."

He was the first Minister of Monroe who quickly became a friend of Roscoe, dying shortly after its completion.
Julian Carmichael-Ortiz

"He says he wants Monroe to be an open community, a place where people are free to apply for residency and come to trade. However, he lets Charles get away with pushing anybody who comes through back out the gate before they can even get settled in. It's antithetical to what we're trying to do here. This new security intake process in ridiculous, and the fact he's allowed it without letting any of the other Chiefs have input is quite frustrating and detrimental to our future."

He is the current Minister of Monroe.
Job

"You've been very helpful to Monroe since day one. I initially felt weird taking the Chief job over you, but you've been extremely helpful to me in the position. I value your advice on the job and your thoughts on Monroe's operation as a whole. I appreciate what you said at my dad's funeral, it felt good to know the impact he had on people besides me. I know I'm not like dad was with making friends, but I think of you as one all the same."

He is a citizen of Monroe and a friend of Arlo.
Conrad Miller

"He was one of dad’s closest friends here. Quiet, but smart and loyal. He’s helpful on the construction team when we need another hand. I’m glad to have him around."

Aaron Kamden

"Dad shot him when he and some other bandits tried a raid on Monroe right when we were first settling here. Afterwards, dad insisted Julian provide him with medical care. Some people wanted let him die, but dad wouldn't take no for an answer. Afterwards, he helped convinced everyone to spare his life and let him work off his debt to Monroe. All the while, dad tried to get him to see the light. Dude decided to stay after his work order was completed, and he's been real chill to have around. One of the cooler guys here, actually. He said some real nice things about dad at his funeral, which meant a lot. I think he reminded dad of himself that period a few years back, when he started to lose his way. I'm happy he's here and I think of him as a friend."

Jeremy Sykes

"I know dad thought he was a smart man and I've seen firsthand that he's loyal to Monroe. I think he's going to continue to be a useful person to have on our side."

He is a citizen of Monroe and is respected by Arlo.
Constantine Hasapis

"He's always friendly to talk with and the work he provides Monroe is extremely useful. I'm glad he found our town."

He is a citizen of Monroe and is respected by Arlo.
Bonnie Mills

"I wish I hadn't told her all that stuff about me... I don't want her thinking I'm some sad sack. But she was really nice about it. I do like talking to her, I hope I didn't scare her off."

One of the few people close in age to him, Arlo is happy to have her around and appreciates her work publishing the Monroe Newspaper. He has a slight, unspoken crush on her.
Avery Dekker

"I don’t know her well, but she seems nice.”

She is a citizen of Monroe.
Eli Hunt

"He came here about a month back. He’s been pretty quiet and seems like he’s struggled on the road. It’s not often you meet somebody his age, I got to imagine he’s got a story to tell."

He is a newcomer to Monroe.
Charles Gideon

"He almost seems to be on as much of a power trip as the C.P.F. lawmen. He's got this whole big intake process now that's scaring away half the people that come to our gates at a time when we need manpower more than ever. My crew is working 14 hour days of grueling labor and he's over here screaming at every hired hand that tries to walk in the door. I may just have to file a formal grievance."

He is Monroe's Chief of Security whose policies Arlo strongly disagrees with.
Charlotte Emerson

"She was acting like I was stupid because the fucking world collapsed and I never got to go to school. One of Charles' lackeys, she seems to have just as much of an ego and just as much of a desire for making people feel shitty. The fact Julian has this 'security team' as the only people allowed to carry guns, policing the tiny details of people who've been surviving just find for over a decade, really makes me wonder if we're turning into a mini CPF."

She is member of Monroe's security team.
John Tzu

"He does seem to be loud-mouthed, but that doesn't mean Charles can push him around however he pleases. Dude came here wounded, that's hardly a crime. If I hadn't been there, I'm worried a valuable source of labor that my crew desperately needs would've been kicked out simply for being a loud guy. This shit is starting to get ridiculous."

He is an outsider who Arlo encountered in a heated argument with the intake team.

Last edited by a moderator: